Fixing errors in HTML
Fri, 07 Jun 1996 0:00:04 METDST

Subject: Fixing errors in HTML
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 0:00:04 METDST

 Most people have probably noticed the problem
with HTML errors in guestbooks and other dynamic
documents that sometimes screw up the complete
What I want to know is:
  1) Is there a handy piece of software (perl script
  or whatever) that can check that all tags that
  are supposed to be closed are closed, that there
  are no missing "'s etc., i.e. a minor syntax checker
  that can be applied on forms input ?

  2) One can also do a pretty dirty thing by
  putting in a whole bunch of closing tags
  after each part in a dynamic document such
  that anchors, headers, etc really are closed
  (twice..). Would it be possible to have a tag
  in HTML that surrounds a large piece of HTML
  and forces everything that's been opened
  after the start tag to be closed at the ending
  tag, i.e. some kind of HTML quoting.
  I suppose this doesn't really belong inside
  HTML but couldn't it be given as a hint
  to the parser of the client at least ?

 / Kenneth Holmlund            Home:                 \
|  Dept. Theoretical Physics   Marmorvńgen 109        |
|  Umeň University             S-907 42 Umeň          |
|  S-901 87 Umeň               Sweden                 |
|  Sweden                      phone: +46-(0)90-191170|
|  phone: +46-(0)90-167717                            |
|  fax:   +46-(0)90-169556                            |
|  email: Kenneth.Holmlund@TP.UmU.SE                  |
|  web:               |