Re: What about  ?

Jonathan Rosenne (100320.1303@CompuServe.COM)
29 Jul 96 17:27:50 EDT

Date: 29 Jul 96 17:27:50 EDT
From: Jonathan Rosenne <100320.1303@CompuServe.COM>
To: WWW HTML List <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: What about &nbsp;?

Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:
>I am merely asking a question, since the topic keeps coming up in Usenet.
>I would like to see nbsp getting *defined* once and for all. If a
>browser chooses to violate an explicit definition in the spec, that's
>their problem.

Following is the definition from ISO 8859-8:1988, which should be identical
in this to all ISO 8859 parts:

NO_BREAK SPACE (NBSP)

A graphic character the visual representation of which consists of the absence
of a graphic symbol, for use when a line break is to be prevented in the text
as presented.

BTW, I have checked some POSIX locales I have, and NBSP is NOT whitespace.

Jonathan Rosenne