Re: Cougar DTD: Do not use CDATA declared content for SCRIPT

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:33:29 -0700

From: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: "Albert Lunde" <Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu>, <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Cougar DTD: Do not use CDATA declared content for SCRIPT
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:33:29 -0700

Albert Lunde wrote:
> One either has to stay within the rules of SGML _or_ produce
> a formal description of how to go outside them. Without
> a formalism, it's just a pile of hacks.

The formalism itself should not be a hack. If a script cannot currently
be legal SGML content, then either a content type should be devised
that works or SCRIPT should not be formalized in its current form at
all.

> (I'm currently unimpressed by Javascript: the server administration
> web pages generated by a demo version of the Netscape server
> periodically crashed a copy of Netscape 2.02 we were using
> to access them.

Is it fair to say "We must strive for perfection to achieve
excellence!" is not NS's corporate credo? These are the
foresight-challenged folks who have spit out a veritable cornucopia of
dysfunctional tags that do not work in a consistent fashion.

David Perrell