Re: ISO standards

Chris Lilley (
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 22:40:10 +0200

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 22:40:10 +0200
From: Chris Lilley <>
To: David Perrell <>
Subject: Re: ISO standards

David Perrell wrote:
> I've been presented with the following logic:
>     PostScript is a publishing standard.
Yes. Well, a page description standard.

>     SGML is a document markup standard.

>     HTML is a document markup language.
Implemented in SGML. Yes.

>     Therefore, PostScript is out of the picture.

Doesn't follow. To add to your logic: PostScript became standardised by
ISO, who called it SPDL. This has three encodings - a compact ASN.1
encoding, a clear text encoding (whjich looks exactly like PostScript)
and an SGML encoding.

SGML can be used for lots of things, including implementing a page
description language.

> I've been told that those who worked on SGML may have "considered
> ramifications that you and I are completely unaware of." No doubt. And
> vice versa, apparently.

Chris Lilley, W3C                          [ ]                       INRIA/W3C                       2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93
+33 93 65 79 87            06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France