Re: ISO standards

Chris Lilley (chris@w3.org)
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 22:40:10 +0200

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 22:40:10 +0200
From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
To: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
CC: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: ISO standards

David Perrell wrote:

> I've been presented with the following logic:
>
>     PostScript is a publishing standard.
Yes. Well, a page description standard.

>     SGML is a document markup standard.
Yes

>     HTML is a document markup language.
Implemented in SGML. Yes.

>     Therefore, PostScript is out of the picture.

Doesn't follow. To add to your logic: PostScript became standardised by
ISO, who called it SPDL. This has three encodings - a compact ASN.1
encoding, a clear text encoding (whjich looks exactly like PostScript)
and an SGML encoding.

SGML can be used for lots of things, including implementing a page
description language.

> I've been told that those who worked on SGML may have "considered
> ramifications that you and I are completely unaware of." No doubt. And
> vice versa, apparently.

;-)

http://www.w3.org/people/chris/                       INRIA/W3C
+33 93 65 79 87            06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France