Re: Cougar DTD: Do not use CDATA declared content for SCRIPT

James Aylett (sja20@hermes.cam.ac.uk)
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 20:16:50 +0100 (BST)

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 20:16:50 +0100 (BST)
From: James Aylett <sja20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To: Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet <galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Cougar DTD: Do not use CDATA declared content for SCRIPT

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:

> Foteos Macrides <MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU> wrote:
> >
> > 	<SCRIPT SRC="data:..."></SCRIPT>
>
> Ah, nice trick. :-) But then we can declare SCRIPT as EMPTY, and get
> rid of the now useless </SCRIPT> closing element.
>
> I *do* wonder how many people will be able to figure out how to inline
> scripts this way; escaping spaces and the likes is not going to be
> fun.

Hardly a significant problem, really; it would be practically trivial to
write a program to convert a script file into the correct form. Perhaps
better would be a method in the httpd of doing a server-side
parse-and-include, so you keep it in a clear-text format and edit it on
your side, and the httpd converts it into the legal format when required.
An intelligent httpd would cache conversions, thus causing no significant
overhead providing the use of scripts were kept to a sensible minimum (and
for big scripts, if cached in memory, the whole thing could work
significantly faster).

James

  James Aylett - Crystal Services (crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk): BBS, Ftp and Web
     Clare College, Cambridge, CB2 1TL -- sja20@cam.ac.uk -- (0976) 212023