Re: Cougar DTD: Do not use CDATA declared content for SCRIPT

Foteos Macrides (MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU)
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 08:04:51 -0500 (EST)

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 08:04:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Foteos Macrides <MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU>
Subject: Re: Cougar DTD: Do not use CDATA declared content for SCRIPT
To: www-html@w3.org

galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet) wrote:
>[...]
>> 3) Allow scripts to be included by external reference:
>>
>> 	<SCRIPT SRC="http://www.foo.com/myscript.js"></SCRIPT>
>
>Very good idea!  I'll second this.  We now get the "inline vs SRC" debate
>again, especially since <SCRIPT> is a container and not an empty element.
>People will still want to inline small scripts, so how do you propose
>we declare the contents of <SCRIPT> with the above addition?

	<SCRIPT SRC="data:..."></SCRIPT>

	See:

   http://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-masinter-url-data-01.txt

The "data:" URL scheme is in "last call" in the IESG, so quick, help
make it perfect.  My reading of HTML 3.2/Cougar, rightly or or wrongly,
is that the above is encompassed, and IE 3.0 has implemented the "data:"
URL scheme (for OBJECT, at least; I presume also for SCRIPT).

				Fote