Re: Line breaking (<NOBR>, <WBR>)

Keith Calvert Ivey (kcivey@cpcug.org)
Sun, 21 Jul 1996 20:45:39 -0500

From: "Keith Calvert Ivey" <kcivey@cpcug.org>
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 20:45:39 -0500
Subject: Re: Line breaking (<NOBR>, <WBR>)

Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca> gave the
following reason for not including <WBR> and <NOBR> in HTML:

> Simply because line breaking is a purely presentational
> feature that is only meaningful in certain mediums. As such,
> it should go in a style sheet.

Then was the inclusion of <BR> and &nbsp; in HTML a mistake
(not to mention <B>, <I>, ALIGN, and all the rest)?  For that
matter, capitalization is a purely presentational feature that
is only meaningful in certain mediums--should it be handled by
style sheets?

How would one use a style sheet to do the equivalent of <NOBR>?
Something like

    <SPAN CLASS=PHONE>+1 703 683 0683</SPAN>

with PHONE indicated as nonbreaking in the stylesheet?  Or
perhaps

    <SPAN CLASS=NOBREAK>H-P</SPAN> calculators

?

As for <WBR>, I don't see how style sheets would handle it.
Does the style definition include a list of the characters
after which line breaks are allowed?  If so, then if "/" were
defined as one of them, we'd need a nonbreaking slash (for,
say, "1/2") as well as the nonbreaking space and hyphen.

Keith C. Ivey <kcivey@cpcug.org>
Washington, DC
Untangling the Web <http://www.eei-alex.com/eye/utw/>