Re: True quotes -Reply

Charles Peyton Taylor (
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 08:59:18 -0800

Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 08:59:18 -0800
From: Charles Peyton Taylor <>
Subject:  Re: True quotes -Reply

>>> David Perrell <> 07/18/96 12:34pm >>>
> Abigail wrote:
>> I've always failed to see the problem with quotes. I've been
>using ' ` and "
>> for 20 years or so, and anyone always understood what I meant.
>This is a form of esthetic retardation caused by over-exposure to
> character-mapped displays and typewritten text.

"Esthetic retardation"?!?

>Unlike the typewriter vestige ", true opening and closing quotes
>vary a  great deal between fonts, and their distinctiveness grows
>with font size  and screen resolution. For those who discern the
>emotional quality of  letterforms and layouts, their lack is
>sorely felt.
>David Perrell

Am I the only person who doesn't see this as being
a greatly important issue (well, Abigail and myself)?
I mean, we're talking about whether they curl to the
left, or curl to the right.

I think it says something bad about the human condition
that this might happen before <MATH> would.  (Then again,
maybe it's just easier to implement.)

Charles Taylor,
My words are my own.