Re: True quotes -Reply

> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 08:59:18 -0800
> From: Charles Peyton Taylor <CTaylor@wposmtp.nps.navy.mil>
> To: www-html@w3.org
> Subject:  Re: True quotes -Reply
>
> Am I the only person who doesn't see this as being
> a greatly important issue (well, Abigail and myself)?

I hope so.  While typographic correctness may be less important than
the ability to represent math, it is certainly not unimportant.  There
are hundreds or thousands of designers out there trying to make decent
looking Web pages, despite the fact that SGML and its descendents try
to remove all typographic control from the author.

Good design is part of communication.  You can flout centuries of
typographic design practice if you wish, but then please limit the use
of fonts to monospaced, typewriter fonts like Courier.  Then the
absence of proper quotation marks would not be so evident.

-pd

--------
Peter Davis		       "Education is not the		 617/873-4145
BBN Educational Technologies	filling of a pail, but	    FAX: 617/873-2455
70 Fawcett Street		the lighting of a fire."       pdavis@bbn.com
Cambridge, MA 02138			-- W. B. Yeats