Re: ***MATH***

Angel Diaz (
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 19:18:50 -0400

To: Lineaer Algebraiker <>
Subject: Re: ***MATH***
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 19:18:50 -0400
From: Angel Diaz <>

> Has the whole math effort died? I seem to remember that we were promise=
d =

> results, and at least an idea of a timetable by 1st july.
> =

 I just wanted to point out a Netscape Navigator Plug-in from IBM that ma=
y be
of interest regarding the electronic distribution of technical documents.=

 This plug-in allows for TeX (as well as some extensions) to be seamlessl=
embedded in an HTML document. The current aim is to allow for a so called=

"intelligent math object" that could be dragged and dropped into a consen=
math application (spread sheets, symbolic or numeric computation
engines, and so on). This transfer of a mathematical expression implies t=
the exact semantics of such expressions must be preserved. Currently the
OpenMath effort is hopping to fill such a void.

Angel Diaz
Department of Computer Science
Rensselear Polytechnic Institute
Troy, NY 12180