Re: Experimental HTML DTD with OBJECT, style, ...

Harold A. Driscoll (
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 23:15:02 +0100

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 23:15:02 +0100
To: Dan Connolly <>
From: "Harold A. Driscoll" <>
Subject: Re: Experimental HTML DTD with OBJECT, style, ...

At 17:02 10/7/96 -0400, Dan Connolly wrote:
>In collaboration with some of our member organizations, Dave
>Raggett has collected some of the DTD fragments in various proposals
>into a DTD for testing purposes.
>Please see:

A very impressive piece of work.

I do have one question and concern. I notice that the <STRIKE> element is
mentioned in a comment in RFC 1866, defined in Wilbur, and replaced with <S>
in Cougar.

It would seem undesirable to introduce one element in Wilbur, and then
change its name in Cougar. If plans are to change it from <STRIKE> to <S>,
then in the long run I think it would be better to make it <S> in Wilbur as
well. Alternately, keep it as <STRIKE> in Cougar.

Personally, I don't think it matters which name is used. I can see minor
advantages to each over the other. So it would seem to be an arbitrary
decision, best made and not changed, either way.

Harold A. Driscoll
#include <std/disclaimer>