Re: Resizing images relative to window size
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 13:59:44 +0100 (BST)

Subject: Re: Resizing images relative to window size
To: (Melt van Schoor)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 13:59:44 +0100 (BST)

Melt van Schoor wrote:
> >No, I meant that you'd have an external application work on it to a
> >temporary file or area of memory, and then the browser would pick the
> >result up and display it in its own window.
> >
> >James
> Sorry for me-tooing, but this is a great idea. I can imagine that different
> people would attempt to create graphics utilities especially for this
> purpose, and in the end, it would lead to a vast improvement in speed & quality.
> This approach could also enable the web to contain more than 3 graphics
> formats for www pages, if the utility would simply convert it to .GIF (or
> .PNG) before passing the results to the browser.  Mabey we would even be
> able to use vector-based graphics on www-pages, and there are many
> advantages to this.

This idea reduces the size of the browser by a long way.  My web browser
has always relied on external tools to convert incoming images into the
native sprite format.  As a result, support for new graphic formats is
trivial, plus I can use virtually any native file format for inlined
images.  In effect, I suppose this is similar to the effect that plugins
give you with Netscape.  If a document arrives which isn't text/html or
text/plain, then a message is broadcast to all tasks requesting that the
object be rendered.

I have an option in my web browser to choose which tool is asked to
translate GIF images.  One of them will do Floyd-Steinberg dithering and
is slow because of that, the other does not dithering and is therefore a
lot faster although the quality is lower.

The dithering and other sophisticated graphical transformations are
then under control of a tool other than the browser.

The only bad experience I have had with this is that it takes longer to import
the images this way, and progressive image display is much harder, and
thus animated inlines are very hard.

Stewart Brodie, Electronics & Computer Science, Southampton University.