Re: Resizing images relative to window size

Jonathan Gapen (innuendo@execpc.com)
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 17:16:33 (-0600)

From: Jonathan Gapen <innuendo@execpc.com>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Resizing images relative to window size
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 17:16:33 (-0600)

In "Re: Resizing images relative to window size", Melt van Schoor
<Hermanus@iafrica.com> wrote:
> At 05:38 PM 96/07/04 +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> >
> >No, I meant that you'd have an external application work on it to a
> >temporary file or area of memory, and then the browser would pick the=

> >result up and display it in its own window.
> >
> >James
> >
>=20
> Sorry for me-tooing, but this is a great idea. I can imagine that diff=
erent
> people would attempt to create graphics utilities especially for this
> purpose, and in the end, it would lead to a vast improvement in speed =
&
> quality.
>=20
> This approach could also enable the web to contain more than 3 graphic=
> formats for www pages, if the utility would simply convert it to .GIF =
(or
> .PNG) before passing the results to the browser.  Mabey we would even =
be
> able to use vector-based graphics on www-pages, and there are many
> advantages to this.
>=20
> Unfortunately it's a browser issue, and not html. (sincere apologies)

    I know that this is a browser issue, but I just have to reply, becau=
se
this sort of thing has already been done, and a paper presented on it to=
 a W3C
conference.
    The AmigaOS has an object-oriented way of dealing with different dat=
a.=20
With regards to this application, it has a class for manipulating pictur=
data, and many third-party sub-classes which serve simply as loaders for=

specific formats.  Every graphical WWW browser on the Amiga has relied o=
n the
"DataTypes" system to load graphics, because all they have to do is hand=
 off a
pointer to the graphic, and get back a bitmap.
    I've done a page at http://www.execpc.com/~innuendo/amiga/os/datatyp=
es/picture.html
which has a wide variety of image formats, all of which Amiga browsers c=
an
display.

--=20
Jonathan Gapen (innuendo@execpc.com)
Bread in, toast out. How does it DO that?