Re: character problems
Fri, 05 Jul 1996 00:09:58 +0200

Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 00:09:58 +0200
Subject: Re: character problems

>From: Martin Mueller <>

>It's fascinating to listen in on the discussions about the miracles of
>Netscape and Microsoft browsers and then reflect on the simple things you
>CANNOT do. Such as finding a simpler way of writing sentences like "The
>German word for 'girl' is 'M&auml;dchen'," or "The French word for 'summer'
>is '&eacute;t&eacute;'."

How about reading the standards (RFC 1866, also called HTML 2.0):

  1.2.3. User Agents

     An HTML user agent conforms to this specification if:
          * It supports the `ISO-8859-1' character encoding scheme and
          processes each character in the ISO Latin Alphabet No. 1 as
          specified in 6.1, "The HTML Document Character Set".

Your examples can thus be written like this:

R Levitte, Levitte Programming; Spannvägen 38, I; S-161 43  Bromma; SWEDEN
Tel: +46-8-26 52 47, (via +46-8-21 24 90;  No fax right now
PGP key fingerprint = A6 96 C0 34 3A 96 AA 6C  B0 D5 9A DF D2 E9 9C 65
Check for my public key.