character problems

Martin Mueller (martinmueller@nwu.edu)
Wed, 03 Jul 1996 14:02:50 -0500

Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 14:02:50 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org
From: Martin Mueller <martinmueller@nwu.edu>
Subject: character problems

It's fascinating to listen in on the discussions about the miracles of
Netscape and Microsoft browsers and then reflect on the simple things you
CANNOT do. Such as finding a simpler way of writing sentences like "The
German word for 'girl' is 'M&auml;dchen'," or "The French word for 'summer'
is '&eacute;t&eacute;'."

I understand there are some solutions for this. But what if you have an
entry form for a search? In our Library, we have the works of Nietzsche
accessible via  a Web browser. Things are simple when you look for 'Gott' or
'Abgrund.' But how about the &Uuml;bermensch? Not an inviting interface.

Will there soon be a time when what are really quite trivial problems of
character representation will have a solution that won't turn off any but
the most determined user?

Martin Mueller
Professor of English and Classics
Department of English