Re: International chars in HTML files

Geoff Narvronsen (geoffryn@nfocus.com)
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 16:54:59 -0600

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 16:54:59 -0600
To: www-html@w3.org
From: geoffryn@nfocus.com (Geoff Narvronsen)
Subject: Re: International chars in HTML files

>At 03:39 pm 1/15/96 -0500, murray@sq.com spake:
>>The &eacute; is not useless, it is simply redundant if you have
>>the ability to enter the character directly.  The use of named
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>   This would seem to be only true if the author is writing the HTML
>on a system that uses the ISO 8859-1 character set. This is not
>always true, notably in DOS systems.

>| BearHeart / Bill Weinman | BearHeart@bearnet.com | http://www.bearnet.com/
>| Author of The CGI Book -- http://www.bearnet.com/cgibook/

well, it seems to me that any halfway decent (descent?) browser would
convert them to viewable US (or wherever you happen to be) ASCII before
displaying it on the screen..

i know netscape does..it's the only browser i've ever REALLY used, though,
so i don't know how common it is with others..

GeoffryN@nfocus.com