Re: HTML 3 DTD? [was: frames ]

Daniel W. Connolly (
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:20:01 -0500

To: "James K. Tauber" <>
Cc: "Keith M. Corbett" <>,
Subject: Re: HTML 3 DTD? [was: frames ]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:20:01 -0500
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <>

In message <>, "Jame
s K. Tauber" writes:
>On Mon, 1 Jan 1996, Keith M. Corbett wrote:
>> Maybe this is incredibly obvious, but I would like to see W3C and the HTML
>> WG continue to encourage the practice of using PUBLIC identifiers to refer
>> to standardized public text.
>I think this will be even more valuable if plans for network FPI
>resolution go ahead (see In the case of the
>expired HTML 3.0 public text, people could still refer to "-//W3C//DTD
>HTML 3.0 Draft//EN" or some such thing that the FPI resolution scheme
>could resolve to a DTD available online at W3C.

If it were available online at W3C (which it is), folks could just write:

  <!doctype html system "">

If you feel like it, you can write:

  <!doctype html public "-//somebody//DTD HTMl 3.0//EN"

if "somebody" takes ownership responsibility. That generally coincides
with publication and/or software release. At that point, a "stable
network filename" (see should
be issued.

It's possible STANFs and FPIs could interoperate somehow.