Re: microsoftisms after netscapeisms ?

Robert Hazeltine (rhazltin@zeppo.nepean.uws.edu.au)
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 00:21:33 +1000 (EET)

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 00:21:33 +1000 (EET)
From: Robert Hazeltine <rhazltin@zeppo.nepean.uws.edu.au>
To: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Cc: Marcelo Magallon <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr>, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: microsoftisms after netscapeisms ?

Chris,

On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, lilley wrote:

> Heh. Before we all go and slit our collective wrists, however, I would
> refer you to a recent W3C draft Technical Report on a new HTML element
> which will replace app (Sun) applet (Sun) embed (Netscape) marquee
> (Microsoft) bgsound (Microsoft) etc etc ..
>
> And before you all go (as I did) "pah, they will never implement that" look
> at the authors of the spec ... and reconsider. Times they are a changin'
>
>   http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-insert.html

This is good to see.  But I wonder why it this particular element rather
than some of the still unsettled issues like maths?

> The lowest common denominator is now HTML 2.0, which defines in
> toe-curling detail the consensus of the state of HTML in around August 94.
> If you want to know what is the lowest common denominator, look there.

May I ask when this passed from being a proposed spec to a fully fledged one?

Rob...

Robert Hazeltine                    r.hazeltine@nepean.uws.edu.au
Library Web Support                 http://www.nepean.uws.edu.au/library/