Re: Proposal for SIZE attribute

Michael Seaton (Michael.Seaton@inforamp.net)
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 02:36:31 +0000

From: "Michael Seaton" <Michael.Seaton@inforamp.net>
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 02:36:31 +0000
Subject: Re: Proposal for SIZE attribute

> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> ++ [snip description of a UA sending a HEAD request for each individual
> ++  inline and link anchor]
>
> Ouch. trn is usually done over a local network, that doesn't really
> hurt. But doing a request for each linke, even if it is only a HEAD one,
> means a lot more traffic over the net. There are pages with hundreds of
> links (all those people with their bookmarks files on line), I even have
> a page with over 1000 links....
>
> I agree that your suggestion would be the proper way to do it, as the
> refering document does not have to store information about the refered
> document. However, I am afraid the current state of technology is not
> good enough to do it without paying a heavy price.

I support the introduction of a SIZE attribute for the reasons you
mention.  While a somewhat inelegant solution, it is really the only
practical one until the next major overhaul of the WWW
infrastructure.  Compatibility should not be a problem as the
attribute is purely optional and can, in any case, be safely ignored
if a better method of obtaining such information becomes available in
the future.  It is also not totally unprecidented; the MEDIA
attribute was proposed with similar goals in mind.

--
Michael Seaton(mseaton@inforamp.net)