Symposia, was Re: Wish List for New Spec

Christophe Bonnet (cbonnet@lami.univ-evry.fr)
Tue, 09 Jan 1996 11:55:41 +0100

To: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Cc: FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com (Fisher Mark), www-html@www10.w3.org,
Subject: Symposia, was Re: Wish List for New Spec
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 1996 11:55:41 +0100
From: Christophe Bonnet <cbonnet@lami.univ-evry.fr>

> Have you looked at Symposia? This gives WYSIWIG HTML editing with lock/unlock
> and save back to the original server using PUT; it is even closer to what the
> NeXT browser/editor tried to do.Oh and it does Math too, but it doesn't look
> like the HTML 3 draft math. I need to root in the documentation to see what
> it does use.

The use of PUT in symposia is very interesting indeed. I must admit I share
the dream of a read/write web... Too bad a good deal of servers (this does not
include the CERN HTTPD) ignored the "write" half.

Talking about Symposia, I was quite disturbed by their "strict" enforcement of
the DTD, which IMHO is a lot more strict than the DTD itself. For instance,
when you edit a document you wrote "manually", using tag and attribute
omission extensively, Symposia will try to infer the missing tags and
attribute. Moreover, it will do so poorly : I have seen some of my document
badly corrupted by thhese insertions.

Then again, the concept is very good, and what I've seen was just a beta
version.

Oh, talking about wild dreams : I hope one day the full power of the LINK tag
will be used !

Cheers,

	Christophe.