Re: <PAGE> proposal

Hakon Lie (howcome@w3.org)
Fri, 5 Jan 1996 11:25:47 +0100

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 11:25:47 +0100
To: Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu (Albert Lunde)
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: <PAGE> proposal
From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>

Albert Lunde writes:

 > I kind of agree with the line of thought that says that it would
 > be better to put pagination control for a particular media in
 > style sheets.

   [..]

 > I just looked, and this _has_ been addressed in the draft of CSS1

Pagination certainly belongs in style sheets, and has been a part of
CSS1 until the draft of 22 Dec. It was only taken out because we're a
bit unsure of terminology. We're working on a CSS layout language that
will allow the specification of frames within a page. Thus, one also
wants to specify the break w.r.t. frames.

The proposed CSS properties/values are:

  break-before: new-page | new-frame | neutral | same-page | same-frame
  break-after : new-page | new-frame | neutral | same-page | same-frame
  break-inside: neutral | discourage | never

A style sheet could look like:

  H1 { break-before: new-page;
       break-after : same-page;
       break-inside: never }