Re: Automatic Entry and Forms

Jim Taylor (JHTaylor@videodiscovery.com)
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 21:27:48 -0800

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 21:27:48 -0800
From: Jim Taylor <JHTaylor@videodiscovery.com>
To: www-html@w3.org
Cc: carl@chage.com
Subject:  Re: Automatic Entry and Forms

>I've been advocating something very similar on the bit.listserv.edi-l and
>other EDI related lists. EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) is a grandiose
>name that really means computer-computer messaging for automated
>business transactions. Basically EDI means messaging using
>ANSI X12, ITU EDIFACT, or similar standards.

Thanks for your input. I mentioned EDI in my original proposal but no one
responded. I spent about 3 fruitless hours of Web crawling trying to find
out if EDI had standard field names, but all I could find were things like
"NX01" etc.

>The BSR (Basic Semantic Repository) is a new effort meant to move
>the EDI standards forward, with a database of standardized terms,
>data elements, and relationship to the EDI standards. Terms are based
>on normal business language. References to a BSR could be a way to
>solve the problem of making sense of the fields common across lots of
>templates.

Any information about this, especially examples of standardized data
element names, would be quite helpful!

Jim Taylor, Director of Information Technology
<mailto:jhtaylor@videodiscovery.com>
Videodiscovery, Inc. - Multimedia Education for Science and Math
Seattle, WA, 206-285-5400 <http://www.videodiscovery.com/vdyweb>