Re: Automatic Entry and Forms

Jim Taylor (
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 21:27:48 -0800

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 21:27:48 -0800
From: Jim Taylor <>
Subject:  Re: Automatic Entry and Forms

>I've been advocating something very similar on the bit.listserv.edi-l and
>other EDI related lists. EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) is a grandiose
>name that really means computer-computer messaging for automated
>business transactions. Basically EDI means messaging using
>ANSI X12, ITU EDIFACT, or similar standards.

Thanks for your input. I mentioned EDI in my original proposal but no one
responded. I spent about 3 fruitless hours of Web crawling trying to find
out if EDI had standard field names, but all I could find were things like
"NX01" etc.

>The BSR (Basic Semantic Repository) is a new effort meant to move
>the EDI standards forward, with a database of standardized terms,
>data elements, and relationship to the EDI standards. Terms are based
>on normal business language. References to a BSR could be a way to
>solve the problem of making sense of the fields common across lots of

Any information about this, especially examples of standardized data
element names, would be quite helpful!

Jim Taylor, Director of Information Technology
Videodiscovery, Inc. - Multimedia Education for Science and Math
Seattle, WA, 206-285-5400 <>