Re: Automatic Entry and Forms

hallam@zorch.w3.org
Tue, 27 Feb 96 14:23:54 -0500

From: hallam@zorch.w3.org
To: Adam Jack <ajack@corp.micrognosis.com>
Cc: hallam@w3.org, www-html@w3.org, hallam@zorch.w3.org
Subject: Re: Automatic Entry and Forms
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 96 14:23:54 -0500

The point about mobile code, passing continuations in field names etc is
that there are a lot of systems which would break if the change was implemented
in one way and nothing should break if it is implemented the other way.

All thinks being equal the proposal which provides backwards compatibility should win.

As for why I want extensibility, I have always wanted extensibility in every
nook I could find. Part of the reason why Mobile code and Java Script can be
integrated into the web is that a lot of thought went into allowing for the
unexpected early on.

Demographics is not a minor application. It could be a billion dollar market.
A significant proportion of the amount currently spent on advertising may be
transfered to Web advertising. The proportion which moves and the speed at which
it moves will depend upon how well the advertisers can measure the benefit they
receive. I am thus very interested in doing the best job possible in this area.
The amount of money involved also means that there will be pressure from
various quarters to cut corners in ways which could threaten privacy. I am
concerned that we can provide the data the advertisers really need and want
- how effective Webvertising is so that we don't see a proliferation of companies
colecting thepersonal information which threatens privacy.

	Phill