Re: Automatic Entry and Forms

Derek Harding (
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:21:24 -0800

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:21:24 -0800
To: Robert Hazeltine <>
From: Derek Harding <>
Subject: Re: Automatic Entry and Forms
Cc: Murray Altheim <>,,,

I'm glad to see the suggestions of probing and the proposal supporting
automatic submission have now been dropped.

At 11:21 AM 26-02-96 +1100, you wrote:
>Already there are programs that 'roam' the Internet, and I assume that a
>particular kind of information would not be difficult to target, right?
I'm not clear on the relevance of web robots in this situation. Perhaps you
could clarify.

>Already there are some "interesting" applications like NetWatcher that
>can be called on by your local friendly sysop.  I do not see much protection
>of personal information once he/she takes over your session, do you?
"takes over your session" could you explain this to me? Perhaps I'm being
dim but I do not understand what you're getting at.

>IMHO, the proposal is not only weak but it is also pernicious because a
>template mechanism does not provide any protection for the individual
>from unwittingly disclosing personal information, whether or not the
>information is encrypted or standardised is irrelevant.  As a matter of
>fact, it simply does not protect.
This seems a fair comment to me. Having a recommendation in the propsal that
browsers should ask for confirmation before sending any auto-filled in data
(just as the most popular ones currently do for sending unencrypted data!)
would seem wise.

Derek Harding
Online Production Manager
TPD Publishing Inc.