Re: Auto fill for form fields

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@beach.w3.org)
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 00:43:25 -0500

To: Jim Taylor <JHTaylor@videodiscovery.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Auto fill for form fields
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 00:43:25 -0500
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@beach.w3.org>

In message <s120d715.047@videodiscovery.com>, Jim Taylor writes:

>I'm getting really tired of typing my name and e-mail address in form after
>form after form on the Web. It seems to me that a simple extension to
>HTML could save thousands of people from early carpal tunnel syndrome
>by automatically supplying commonly requested information.

A primitive version of this mechanism was written up in:

http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Demographics/Proposals

in section "II. Automated HTML forms through Profiles"

Phill Hallam-Baker made an excellent suggestion that the list of magic
form field names be decentralized: the <form> element would be
annotated with a URI referencing a schema or template defining the
field names, ala:

	<form schema="http://www.mycompany.com/" action="/cgi-bin/buy-printer-paper">

	</form>

We think this is a great idea, and I think Phil intends to write it up.

But I'd be happy to see somebody else write it up and submit it as a W3C
working draft or an Internet Draft.

Dan