Re: What's APPLET doing inside PRE?

Peter Flynn (
31 Dec 1996 21:37:25 +0000 (GMT)

Date: 31 Dec 1996 21:37:25 +0000 (GMT)
From: Peter Flynn <>
Subject: Re: What's APPLET doing inside PRE?
To: (ArnoudEngelfriet)

   I forgot how to say "to HTML 3.2" in Latin. It's a real pain to
   advocate both writing valid HTML (meaning 3.2) as well as using
   stylesheets for presentation, when you can't use CLASSes or IDs.

I do really wish we could get away from this idea that 3.2 has some
kind of validity as a "standard" for HTML. It's a kludge cooked up by
the W3C as a stopgap until they can get some kind of agreement on
something. Nothing wrong with using it, but to advocate it is really
doing users a disservice. IMHO. YMMV. Any ideas?