Re: What's APPLET doing inside PRE?

Arnoud (galactus@htmlhelp.com)
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 13:27:41 +0100

From: galactus@htmlhelp.com (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
To: www-html@www10.w3.org
Subject: Re: What's APPLET doing inside PRE?
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 13:27:41 +0100

In article <199612301903.TAA07726@curia.ucc.ie>,
Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie> wrote:
>    Is there a particular reason that IMG is not permitted inside PRE,
>    but APPLET is?
>
> Excellent question. I'm sure it's because one of the browsers allows
> it, so all commonsense is flung to the 4 winds.

My first thought as well, but they also handle IMG inside PRE fairly
well (see the KGV[0] for an example). I really doubt that any person
who likes to use applets will use preformatted text as well.

>    Ceterum censeo CLASS addendum esse.
>
> We all wish for this, but I think only Microsoft is likely to
> implement it right now, and they don't seem to have kept their DTD up
> to date...

I forgot how to say "to HTML 3.2" in Latin. It's a real pain to
advocate both writing valid HTML (meaning 3.2) as well as using
stylesheets for presentation, when you can't use CLASSes or IDs.

Galactus
[0] http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/%7Egerald/validate/

- --
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/>
Ceterum censeo CLASS addendum HTML 3.2 esse.

-----END PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----