Re: Proposal: New Page Tag

Hakon Lie (howcome@www10.w3.org)
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 17:01:39 +0100 (MET)

Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 17:01:39 +0100 (MET)
To: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Cc: www-html@www10.w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposal: New Page Tag
From: Hakon Lie <howcome@www10.w3.org>

Peter Flynn writes:

 >    I do agree that I a page tag would mean something that is not
 >    independent of the output device it was designed for.  This is why
 >    I mentioned a prefered page break.  Though if the web browsers could
 >    be as well behaved as SGML programs and break, just before an <H1>,
 >    then I would be happy.
 >
 > This is exactly what Panorama Pro does. Uses a stylesheet.

Support for printing was cut from CSS level 1 to speed its
acceptance. It has now become a W3C recommendation [1] and we can look
into ways to extend it. I enclose a draft for two new properties that
hopefully whould accomplish what people are asking for. Comments
welcome.

[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-CSS1

-h&kon

H      k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org   W o r l d   Wide  W e b  Consortium
inria # FRANCE http://www.w3.org/people/howcome

'page-break-before'

Value: auto | always | odd | even
Initial: auto
Applies to: all block-level and in-line elements except those within tables
Inherited: no
Percentage values: N/A

auto: do a page break before the element only if necessary

always: always do a page break before the element

odd: do one or two page breaks before the element until a blank
odd-numbered page is reached

even: do one or two page breaks before the element until a blank
even-numbered page is reached

As an example, a hard page break may be inserted in the document with
the BR tag as follows:

  <STYLE>
    H1.chapter { page-break-before: always }
  </STYLE>
  <H1 CLASS=chapter>

If there are conflicts between this property and the
'page-break-after' value on the next element (as formatted on the
canvas), the value that results in the largest number of page breaks
will be used.

'page-break-after'

Value: auto | always | odd | even
Initial: auto
Applies to: all block-level and in-line elements except those within tables
Inherited: no
Percentage values: N/A

The values mean:

auto: do a page break after the element only if necessary

always: always do a page break after the element

odd: do one or two page breaks after the element until a blank
odd-numbered page is reached

even: do one or two page breaks after the element until a blank
even-numbered page is reached

As an example, a hard page break may be inserted in the document with
the BR tag as follows:

  <STYLE>
    BR.page { page-break-after: always }
  </STYLE>
  <BR CLASS=page>

If there are conflicts between this property and the
'page-break-before' value on the previous element (as formatted on the