Re: wherefore CGM?

David Perrell (
Sun, 8 Dec 1996 16:43:43 -0800

From: "David Perrell" <>
To: "Joel N. Weber II" <>
Cc: "Walter Ian Kaye" <>, <>
Subject: Re: wherefore CGM?
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 16:43:43 -0800

Joel N. Weber II wrote:
> You still haven't answered my question: if you strip the preview from
> the encapsulated postscript and gzip it, how will the size compare
> to a binary CGM?  CGM might still be a win, but it won't be as

I thought I answered that well enough in the comment about binary
PostScript. Oh, well. It's 8k vs 1.5k. Or, to put it another way, the
zipped, previewless PS is more than 5 times as large. The zipped CGM is

This is really a meaningless comparison. This logo is quite simple, and
could probably have been hand-coded into an EPS file of less than 2k.
The logo was drawn in CorelDRAW!, which inserts a general function
dictionary into the EPS header. A more sophisticated export filter
would tailor the function dictionary to the drawing, and in that case a
zipped EPS wouldn't be so much larger than a CGM.
David Perrell