Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets

Martin Bryan (
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:53:09 +0000

Date: 	Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:53:09 +0000
To: Walter Ian Kaye <>,,
From: Martin Bryan <>
Subject: Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets

>>>'&laquo;' and '&raquo;' refer to the Latin 1 _double_ angle quotes
>>>(#171 and #187), not the single versions.
>>The single angle versions are &lsquo; and &rsquo; respectively

>If so, then what are the non-angle single quote entities?

Whoops, that will teach me not to work from memory. You are right the lsquo
and rsquo are the curly ones. The arrow ones will be &lsaquo and &rsaquo,
but as yet the entity sets that they belong with have still to be formally
approved by ISO, and that could take some time.
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: