Re: Frames - does anyone like them?

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 11:30:27 -0700

From: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Frames - does anyone like them?
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 11:30:27 -0700

Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
> Heh, well it's not all my fault either! Netscape only gives so many
> options, as you know. One of my assumptions is a 12-pt font, btw.

My system isn't typical. With certain video drivers, Win95 lets you
set pixels/inch for your display. I have mine set to 116 pixels/inch,
and TT and PS fonts get sized accordingly. Font size is set to 13pt
in NSN. One of the failings of MSIE is that font size is only
adjustable through a series of presets, but it's close to 13pt also.

It's very likely users with very hi-res displays will have
non-standard settings, as the standard fonts at 96 pixels/in become
too small to read. For those users your frames page won't work as
you'd like.

> ::sigh:: Yeah, I can only do what I can with what they give me...

Frames are a pain. Setting a fixed height for a frame in the vertical
direction is risky unless you (1) don't care whether the user must
scroll or (2) use a bitmap.

David Perrell