Re: history.go(-1) question

Arnoud (
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 21:13:53 +0200

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: history.go(-1) question
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 21:13:53 +0200

In article <>,
Alan Thomson <> wrote:
> I understand how to do the history function with buttons in forms:
> 	<input type=3Dbutton value=3D"Back" onClick=3D"history.go(-1)">

This only works in browsers where Javascript is enabled. This is
about the only way to get the button to act as a _real_ back

ANY other method, including fiddling with HTTP_REFERER actually
creates a *forward* link to the previous document. Abigail has written
a very comprehensive document explaining why you can't do this in
HTML, and it applies equally well to imagemaps.

To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.
Finger for public key (key ID 0x416A1A35).
Anonymity and privacy site: <>