Re: history.go(-1) question

Arnoud (galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl)
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 21:13:53 +0200

From: galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: history.go(-1) question
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 21:13:53 +0200

In article <321E5270.7F92@wavenet.com>,
Alan Thomson <at@wavenet.com> wrote:
> I understand how to do the history function with buttons in forms:
>
> 	<input type=3Dbutton value=3D"Back" onClick=3D"history.go(-1)">

This only works in browsers where Javascript is enabled. This is
about the only way to get the button to act as a _real_ back
button.

ANY other method, including fiddling with HTTP_REFERER actually
creates a *forward* link to the previous document. Abigail has written
a very comprehensive document explaining why you can't do this in
HTML, and it applies equally well to imagemaps.

<URL:http://edbo.com/abigail/HTML/Misc/back_button.html>.

Galactus

--
To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.