Pushpins: patented? [was: Frames - does anyone like them? ]

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 22:35:54 -0400

To: Simon Cox <S.Cox@solo.ned.dem.csiro.au>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Pushpins: patented? [was: Frames - does anyone like them? ]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 22:35:54 -0400
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>

In message <3219BFE0.1065@ned.dem.csiro.au>, Simon Cox writes:

>(As an aside, I think that Sun's OpenLook interface was much
>more consistent than Motif, and particularly liked the push-pins
>that allowed you to keep a window or menu on screen if you wanted.
>Shame it lost.

Yes, the push-pins idiom is great. We used it in the OLIAS browser[1]
that I used to work on back at HaL. I seem to remember some patent
scare that delayed our use of it. Does anybody remember any claims
that the push-pin idiom was patented?

[1] http://www.baker.com/the-baker-reports/IW94-sp/report/press-releases/hal-olias.html
HalSoft dissolved, and the danged thing has all but disappeared from
the net!