Re: AREA tags

James Aylett (sja20@hermes.cam.ac.uk)
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 23:50:25 +0100 (BST)

Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 23:50:25 +0100 (BST)
From: James Aylett <sja20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To: Foteos Macrides <MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: AREA tags

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Foteos Macrides answered my question about the ALT
attribute to the AREA tag (rather completely :-) ...

> 	Lynx, and in theory other text clients and GUIs with image loading
> turned off, use that as the link name in a menu of links for the HREFs
> of the AREA tags.  The ALT strings should describe the links.  For
> example, if your MAP is of the United States and the links return
> information concerning each state. the ALT strings could be the names
> of the states.

This still, however, doesn't explain why ALT is #REQUIRED here, whereas it
is #IMPLIED for the IMG tag. Surely if it's #REQUIRED in one context, it
should be in all such?

James

  James Aylett - Crystal Services (crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk): BBS, Ftp and Web
     Clare College, Cambridge, CB2 1TL -- sja20@cam.ac.uk -- (0976) 212023