Re: Uses of <I>

Keith Calvert Ivey wrote:

> "Christopher R. Maden" <crm@ebt.com> wrote about <I>:
>
> > I *never* use it otherwise. There's always a reason I think
> > it should be italicized.  Title?  Use <cite>.  Foreign word?
> > Use <em>. Variable?  Use <var>.  Ditto boldface or
> > underlining.
>
> I agree that there's always a reason that something's
> italicized, but the reason can't always be described in the
> current state of HTML.  That and automated conversion are the
> reasons I use <I>.  I don't understand why marking a
> foreign word with <EM> when you're not emphasizing it is any
> better than marking it with <I>.

What if someone uses italics as default font? Maybe they
like it. Sure, you can say they shouldn't, but using ones
preferences is the _whole_ point of using HTML. If usage
of <I> in stead of <EM> becomes common practice, people are
forced to use non-italic default fonts, partially defeating
the whole point of HTML.

Abigail