Re:   Tastes great! Less filling!

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 15:37:06 -0700

From: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: &nbsp; Tastes great! Less filling!
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 15:37:06 -0700

Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:
>   1. It's just like the letter "G", but using no ink.

Best to avoid statements like this. Someone might mistake it for an
accurate analogy and spout it as gospel in a subsequent argument.

>   #1 is closer to current practice in a particular piece
>     of shi^H^Hoftware that shall remain nameless.

Assuming you don't really mean that &nbsp; gets the same horizontal
space as an invisible "G" in anything but a monospaced font,  let me
guess: Microsoft Word? Adobe Pagemaker?

>  #2 better fits advanced typological practice: e.g. justified
>    text will pad or squeeze them like other spaces.

Assuming you mean "typographical," note that neither of the
aforementioned applications treat non-breaking spaces in such an
advanced manner. Pagemaker, though, does have the equivalent of
<NOBR>.