Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar -Reply

Arnoud (
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 20:28:26 +0200

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar -Reply
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 20:28:26 +0200

In article <>,
Paul Prescod <> wrote:
> At 12:32 PM 8/1/96 +0200, Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet wrote:
> >It's similar to using <SPAN CLASS=phonenumber> and then specifying how
> >it should be displayed in the style sheet, rather than having a standard
> ><PHONE> element, which the browser can display/render/dial/stuff-in-a-
> >phone-book any way it likes.
> It doesn't really matter whether you do it in CLASS or with an element. The
> important thing is that it be _standardized_. We should standardize CLASS
> sets just as we standardize entity and elemenet sets.

That would only partially solve the problem. By putting information
about the *contents* of marked-up text in a style sheet, you're
actually lessening the power HTML can offer.

Style sheets are for layout.
HTML elements are for contents.

To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.
Finger for public key (key ID 0x416A1A35).
Anonymity and privacy site: <>