Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar -Reply

Arnoud (
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 12:32:44 +0200

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar -Reply
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 12:32:44 +0200

In article <>,
Matt Heffron <> wrote:
> >Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
> >But a few months back, there was discussion here about *legal* documents,
> >which apparently do require underlining. I'm not qualified to comment on
> >that, though. :)
> But, of course, the *RIGHT WAY* will be to use style sheets and mark
> the part of the document to be underlined with either DIV or SPAN
> (DIV if its structural, SPAN if its not) with a
> CLASS="legal-term-defining-class-to-be-underlined" :-)

This would be a major pain for search engines and indexing robots, as
they'd have to parse style sheets to obtain this information.

It's similar to using <SPAN CLASS=phonenumber> and then specifying how
it should be displayed in the style sheet, rather than having a standard
<PHONE> element, which the browser can display/render/dial/stuff-in-a-
phone-book any way it likes.

To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.
Finger for public key (key ID 0x416A1A35).
Anonymity and privacy site: <>