Re: Inline code a mistake?

Paul Prescod (papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca)
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 13:49:47 -0400

Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 13:49:47 -0400
To: boo@best.com (Walter Ian Kaye)
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: Inline code a mistake?
Cc: www-html@w3.org

At 02:54 PM 4/26/96 -0700, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>Um, are we talking about code designed to display as code (syntax coloring)
or encoded data
> designed to be processed separately (.hqx and .zip files), or code meant
to be *run* upon receipt?
> Clarification needed...

I think we are talking about the latter two, which should (in my opinion),
definately be in their own files, where they can be validated, downloaded
and processed separately from the document itself, (just as you would
validate, download and process a GIF or JPEG separately from the document
itself).

The first (pretty printed, syntax colored code-inline) might also a worthy
candidate for being separated out into its own data type depending on your
needs. An applescript pretty-printer Java applet or plug-in could

* reformat and recolor the code according to a user's need,
* "execute" the code on a machine with an applescript interpreter and
display the results,
* install the applescript code as local methods on the machine.

But it may not be worth the hassle for you to separate that content out and
write the custom handler.

 Paul Prescod