Re: mailto: + parameters?

Abigail (abigail@tungsten.gn.iaf.nl)
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 20:46:47 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Abigail <abigail@tungsten.gn.iaf.nl>
Subject: Re: mailto: + parameters?
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 20:46:47 +0200 (MET DST)

You, Michele Bassan wrote:
++
++ My question is probably marginal to html, but I did not find a thread about it
++ elsewhere.
++ Do you know whether it is possible to pass to the "mailto:" method also some
++ parameters, that can be filled in advance by the browser, like the subject and
++ even (part of) the message content?

What you can do is using the TITLE attribute of the <a> element.
Only a few browsers will support it thought, but it will not
break browsers which do not support it.

Netscape 2.0 and newer versions of Lynx will understand
'mailto:foo@bar.com?subject=bla'. However, people using browsers
which do not understand that, including Netscape pre-2.0 browsers,
will send out undeliverable mail, as "foo@bar.com?subject=bla"
is not a valid email address. You will not even get those messages.

Abigail