Re: VRML

Walter Ian Kaye (boo@best.com)
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:31:51 -0700

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:31:51 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
From: boo@best.com (Walter Ian Kaye)
Subject: RE: VRML

At 11:33a 04/09/96, James Tauber SunLabs - SML wrote:

>While I think it will have a big impact in some areas, I disagree with "take
>over the web" because I think there are a large number of applications for
>which you gain nothing having VR instead of just rich text.

Not to mention the time it takes to *create* a virtual world! That's
actually one of the main reasons I've been putting off getting into that (I
have a copy of Virtus Walkthrough Pro, but haven't installed it yet...).

>Speed aside, I find VRML browsers difficult to use. They just aren't suited to
>navigating most of the stuff I'm interested in. That having been said, I think
>VRML will be awesome for some things---but just *some*.

Is that a browser issue or an input-device issue? Standard mice were not
designed for 3D navigation -- they are 2-dimensional devices, as is a
keyboard.

-Walter