Re: SGML macros using DSSSL expressions -Reply

Hakon Lie (howcome@w3.org)
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 09:50:21 +0200

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 09:50:21 +0200
To: Erik <erik@inch.com>
Cc: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: RE: SGML macros using DSSSL expressions -Reply
From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>

erik@inch.com writes:

 > CSS is largely uniteligble.

 [..]

 > why not just use an INSERT tag to include a style definition....
 >
 > <STYLE>
 > 	<BODY BACKGROUND=#000000>
 > 	<STYLE NAME=H2>
 > 	<FONT SIZE=12 FACE=Times,Serif COLOR=#FFFFFF>
 > 	</STYLE>
 > 	<STYLE NAME=H3>
 > 	<FONT SIZE=10 FACE=Times,Serif COLOR=#FFFFFF>
 > 	</STYLE>
 > </STYLE>

Let's compare this with CSS:

<STYLE>
  BODY { background: black }
  H2   { font-size: 12px; font-family: times serif; color: white }
  H3   { font-size: 10px; font-family: times serif; color: white }
</STYLE>

In my (biased) eyes, the CSS syntax seems more intelligible. How would
you mark up context-sensitive selectors in your syntax?

For recent news on style sheets, see [1]. The style sheet resource
page will give you more background information [2].

[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/960305_News.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/

Regards,

-h&kon