RE: SGML macros using DSSSL expressions -Reply

Eric

On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Erik wrote:

> CSS is largely uniteligble.  It's C-like syntax is confusing to anyone
> who is unfamaialr with C.  The success of the web was and still is
> hinged on simplicity.

I agree with you entirely and I hope that the specification develops in
such a way that it remains an open specification and that it maintains the
original concept of simplicity.

Having said that, I also think that there is a pressing need for style
sheets.  The solution, IMHO, is not to drop the idea but like HTML itself to
keep the style sheets simple.

Making more and more tags available to HTML just makes HTML more
complicated too. If I may draw an analogy, the style sheet should have
the same purpose of type setting a manuscript in print - content remains the
same but the presentation varies according to the publication
designer/graphic artists ideas.

> W3's ideas will be left as a curious anachronism if they ignore the
> demands of the users.

Erik, you're probably right with this observation as well.  I think it is
so short sighted to develop the next generation of HTML piece meal.

Rob...

Robert Hazeltine                    r.hazeltine@nepean.uws.edu.au
UWS Nepean Library Web Support      http://www.nepean.uws.edu.au/library/