Re: Inserting audio.

Murray Altheim (
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:22:13 -0400

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:22:13 -0400
To: "Domingo Siliceo" <>
From: (Murray Altheim)
Subject: Re: Inserting audio.

Domingo Siliceo <> writes:
>Hi all,
>does the standard defines any way to play audio files inside a HTML page?
>Is any browser currently giving support to that?

As has been suggested, BGSOUND is one option, but only supported in MS
Internet Explorer. A more general method can be found on Odell McGuire's
Old Time Music Page at

which is simply to use an anchor HREF-erencing a sound file, such as

You can check your browser preferences under 'Helpers' or 'Helper Apps'
('File Types' in MSIE) to see which file extension mappings are understood.
These will have a MIME type of 'audio/xxxx' where 'xxxx' is the type of
sound file (commonly /wav (.wav), /basic (.au), /x-aiff (.aiff), etc.).

This is a commonly supported option in most popular browsers. Sorry for the
Odell plug; it just happens to be one of my favorites.

     Murray Altheim, Program Manager
     Spyglass, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
     email: <>
     http:  <>