Re: Inserting audio.

Daniel W. Connolly (
Tue, 09 Apr 1996 09:01:43 -0400

To: "Domingo Siliceo" <>
Subject: Re: Inserting audio.
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 09:01:43 -0400
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <>

In message <199604021302.NAA12559@>, "Domingo Siliceo" writes:
>Hi all,
>does the standard defines any way to play audio files inside a HTML page?

Audio files are not "special" -- they're just another resource.

So the following:

should work just fine (and does in most implementations, as far as I know.)

>Is any browser currently giving support to that?

The only thing they don't seem to support is link relationships.

For example,

	<a rel="present" href="">some audio</a>

is supposed to cause the link to be activiated not when the user
clicks, but when the document is displayed. The LINK tag was supposed
to work this way too, so:

	<link rel="present" href="foo.wav">

should play foo.wav in the bakckground, and there was no need for:

	<bgsound src="foo.wav">

Embed could have been reduced to <a rel="embed"> in much the same
way, except for nesting issues.

Hmmm... isn't responding. But have a look at
the "proposed tag: IMG: thread in Mar '93. Then look at all
the <include> proposals in the intervening years.

I sincerely hope the "Inserting Multimedia Objects in HTML" spec (keep
an eye on will resolve these issues.