Re: HTML 3.0 suggestion

David Rahbany (
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 15:37:28 -0600 (MDT)

From: David Rahbany <>
To: "Jon A. Lovstad" <>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.0 suggestion
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 15:37:28 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 28 Sep 1995 21:54:15 +0100 (MET) "Jon A. Lovstad" <>
[modified for space by D. Rahbany]
>On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Carl Benker wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Yesterday I had posted to this mailing list a request to make
>> list items "containers" by adding a </LI> tag to the HTML spec.
>> I received a fair amount of email that said that I should have
>> looked into it a little on my own, since it was already in the
>> standard.
>[Carl continues to reference the HTML 2 spec and says it is not listed
>I have printed the HTML 3 spec as presented by and I can't find it
>listed under the OL/UL sections there either. Could someone please list
>the source where it is a part of the standard?

Please refer to the following Internet Drafts:

<draft-ietf-html-spec-05.txt> - page 12 - "...the end tags of some other
elements, such as Paragraph ('</P>'), List Item ('</LI>'), Definition Term
('</DT>'), and Definition Description ('</DD>') elements, may be omitted."

<daft-eitf-html-scpcv3-00.txt> - page 10 - "...Some elements appear as just a
start tag.  For example to create a line break, you use <BR>.  Additionally, the
end tags of some other elements (e.g. P, LI, DT, DD) can be omitted as the
position of the end tag is clearly implied by the context."

Dave Rahbany