Re: Standards, Work Groups, and Reality Checks: A Radical Proposal.

lilley (lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk)
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 16:39:03 +0100 (BST)

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Standards, Work Groups, and Reality Checks: A Radical Proposal.
To: habib@world.std.com (Steve H Rose)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 16:39:03 +0100 (BST)
Cc: www-html@w3.org

> I would like to make a point at my own expense.  I teach HTML, and
> [snip]  Assuming that the users of HTML have
> the expertise to pay attention to the parameters for MIME types is a
> stretch -- considering that most users of HTML have probably never heard
> of MIME, and many have probably never heard of "parameters."

Cue Dilbert cartoon of salesdroid being asked *any* question - "Woah,
intricate technical stuff is way over my head"

I taught an "Introduction to the Web" four hour course a couple of weeks ago
to an audience of slightly net-literate managers (about half had used email,
few had used a web browser).

I covered MIME in two slides and a couple of minutes, gave them some practical
online exercises, and they were all fine. Labelling stuff is after all
an extremely simple concept to explain.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author
|       Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre        |