Re: Associating Hidden Infomation with an Anchor

William C. Cheng (
Mon, 06 Nov 1995 09:28:07 -0500

Subject: Re: Associating Hidden Infomation with an Anchor
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 1995 09:28:07 -0500
From: "William C. Cheng" <>

> I'd like to associate some arbitrary hidden information with an anchor
> end-point (for automatic generation of pointer indexes, for example).
> Two techinques come to mind:
>   1) <a name=job1234 my_values=ohio:drive-in:cook>
> or
>   2) <a name=job1234> <meta content=ohio:drive-in:cook>
> (1) uses an undefined attribute on the grounds that browsers ignore such.
> (2) uses a HEAD element in the BODY on the same grounds.
> Neither are kosher.  What is the "right stuff"?

(BTW, I don't think that HTML-2.0 allows a <A> without a </A>.)

Here's another possibility (not sure if it is good either):

    <a name=job1234 rel="has_keywords", title="ohio,drive-in,cook">Job1234</A>

The assumption is that the NAME attribute does not co-exist with the
HREF attribute.  Otherwise, the TITLE attribute will be ambiguous.
It's possible to assign an ``indirect link'' a name and thus kill this
Bill Cheng // Guest at Columbia Unversity Computer Science Department
william@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU      ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!!william
WWW Home Page: <URL:>