caching problems - Help !

Rudi Breedenraedt (infbtr@az.vub.ac.be)
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 15:07:36 +0100

Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 15:07:36 +0100
From: infbtr@az.vub.ac.be (Rudi Breedenraedt)
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: caching problems - Help !

Hi there,

We are using Netscape 1.1 and the NCSA 1.4.2 server.

We have made a cgi program that returns a html page and at the same time logs the access time and remote host.

The problem we encounter is that - I suppose - the Web browser (Netscape in this case)) caches the html page that is returned from our cgi program, anmd the next time a user asks this html page, the Web browser retrieves it from his cache instead of calling the cgi program again.
The result is obvious: the logging of access time and host occurs only the first time a user asks this html-page... which in our case is absolutely not of interest.

Is there a way to tell the WQeb broser NOT to cache a document ???? Or is there an other solution for our problem ???

Thanx,

Rudi Breedenraedt.