Extraneous Characters in Netscape Display

Alexander, Larry (lalexander@acad.com)
Tue, 23 May 95 17:37:53 PST

Date: Tue, 23 May 95 17:37:53 PST
From: "Alexander, Larry" <lalexander@acad.com>
To: www-html@www10.w3.org
Subject: Extraneous Characters in Netscape Display

I have been creating Web pages using the netscape rules file in HoTMetaL
Pro. Problems appear when I have pages with special entities. Each file
begins with:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//Netscape Corp.//DTD HTML plus Tables//EN"
"html-net.dtd"
[
<!ENTITY pound CDATA "">
]>

When using NCSA Mosaic v2B4 everything looks fine. However, with Spry Air
or Netscape, I see:

]>

at the head of each page.

I tried running it all up on one line like:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//Netscape Corp.//DTD HTML plus Tables//EN"
"html-net.dtd"[<!ENTITY pound CDATA "">]>

but I still see the "]>" in Netscape.

Is HoTMetaL doing something illegal with the !ENTITY declaration?

How do I stop this from happening???

Thanks

Larry Alexander
AP